I love to cook, and one of my regular household jobs is to prepare dinner. I have been experimenting with quiches over the last 6 months or so and have discovered that I really like them! However, we wanted to try and make the quiche as healthy as possible by reducing fat and cramming as many vegetables in as possible.
We've tried sweet potato, spinach, prosciutto, bocconcini, broccoli.... so many options!
Tonight I tried a new combination - bacon, pea and broccoli. It. Was. DELICIOUS! So much so that I thought I just had to share the recipe with you!
Bacon, Broccoli and Pea Quiche
1.5 sheets puff pastry, defrosted
1.5 heads of broccoli florets, chopped small
1 cup of frozen peas
4 rashers of rindless bacon, sliced
150g gruyere cheese, finely grated
150ml thickened cream
Butter for greasing
1. Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan forced).
2. Grease a 23cm pie dish liberally with butter. Line the pie dish with the puff pastry, trimming and folding to fit. Stab the pastry all over with a fork. Lay a sheet of baking paper over the pastry and fill with baking beans or pastry weights.
3. Bake pastry for 15 minutes, then remove baking beans and bake for another 5-10 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from the oven.
4. Steam broccoli and peas until almost cooked, but still a bit crunchy. Drain well on paper towel.
5. Heat a frying pan or saucepan over high heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring until bacon starts to crisp up and brown. Drain on paper towel.
6. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Once well combined, stir in the broccoli, peas, bacon and cheese until the fillings are evenly distributed. Pour mixture into the prepared pie case.
7. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the egg is just set and there are no puddles of liquid if you cut into the centre of the quiche.
8. Serve with a green salad if you're feeling super healthy, or just eat on its own!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do :)