Sunday 14 September 2014

Upcycled Yarn - Workbaskets

Today I finally got my paws on some larger size hooks to work with the tshirt yarn that I won :D 

They are just a tad bigger than what I'm used to working with... 




For scale, my 1.5mm hook that I use for animals is at the top; the 12mm hooks are the grey and blue ones in the middle...

Using the Chunky Crocheted Basket pattern from Crochet in Color, I made myself two work baskets - one big and one small - that I can keep things tidy around my chair, and also easily take with me if I need a project to go on the road (or visit others!). 



The blue one is about 11" diameter and 10" tall. It is the perfect size for my collection of candy yarn for animal making - it fits the 10 balls quite comfortably, with room for a little bag of pieces and the hook! 



The pink one is about 8" diameter and 6" tall :) It fits two balls of Fayette (enough to make a Road Trip Scarf). 



I did make a few little changes to the Crochet in Color pattern - I made the last row crab stitch (or reverse double crochet) instead of a plain double crochet row, and added a button under one handle so I can close the basket a bit for carrying :) 




I love them! And my workspace is already looking tidier :P 

One last shot with extra drama: I accidentally had a filter on and didn't notice...






14 comments :

  1. Lovely! They look the perfect size :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just excellent, and my workspace looks SO much tidier!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Helen perfect size ! great job ! Have a nice sunday !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have One of those too :) it's great, cause then everything looks so tighty doesn't it :) how did you feel crocheting with such a big hook? I found it a bit hard, and had to hold the hook like a spoon instead of a pencil like I normally do. But then it is a fast project to crochet. :) I tought my sister to crochet this summer and this is what she started with :) Liebe Grüße Thuri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the tidiness! Crocheting with the 12mm hook was like trying to work with a whole tree - fortunately I usually crochet overhand (holding the hook like a spoon/knife) rather than the pencil grip, so adapting to that wasn't too hard :) And it was so fast! Less than two TV episodes!

      Delete
  4. Bonjour,
    The baskets look perfect!
    Have a nice week!
    Lucie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucie! I hope you have a nice week too :) Put up more garden pictures!!

      Delete
  5. Hi Michelle! Lovely baskets, what a nice pop of colour, very pretty! :)
    Yes, it is a bit harder to crochet with the big hooks. I've made some little baskets and pot holders with the t-shirt yarn before, as well as chunky necklaces! :)
    Have fun experimenting!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello to you both Michelle and Anne, what lovely baskets, I like the addition of the button. I have making a basket on my never ending to-do-list, I want one for storing my grandsons toys in, so it will need to be quite large I think.
    Thank you to Anne for her visit to my craft blog :-)

    Myrtle and Linda

    http://myrtlescraftstudio.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. The baskets are so quick! It's totally worth inserting between other projects :) I love the paintings on your blog - I wish I could do visual arts like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your baskets look excellent. I love the way you have increased their usefulness by adding a button fastening. That's one of the best aspects of crochet - you can customise things just the way you want! :-)
    How much T-shirt yarn is left over after completing your baskets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much - I think I used a bit more than 3/4 of the 4x400g balls I win...

      Delete