Tuesday 9 December 2014

Rainbow Afghan #1

Hello everyone!!

Welcome to all the new readers and welcome back to all the regulars! We love to read your comments - so thank you for taking the time to drop us a note! 

Today is just a short post as the fatigue is kicking my butt, but I just couldn't WAIT to share this with you all :) 

A few weeks ago I wrote about my lust for Stylecraft Special DK yarn (especially when it is on sale), and put up three sketches of rainbow afghan layouts. If you missed that, go check out the post here.

Thank you for all your kind comments, and votes on your favourite layout for me to start with. By a very close margin, the Twist and Turn won!

The layout did need a few changes from my pencil sketch as (a) I had 10 colours not 7 to work with, and (b) I wanted to make it a little bit closer to the original inspiration. Without further ado, the Twist and Turn Rainbow Afghan!



Now I'm really looking forward to the Christmas holidays, so I can get started on this little beauty! I will also be doing up proper graphs for the other two patterns as I want to do them as well! If you want to make an afghan using this graph please do so, but please link back to this blog!

I have set up an Instagram for my Wrapped with Love business, where there will be updates on my rainbow afghan projects over the holidays! My handle is @wrappedwithlovebymichelle - I'd love to see you (and follow you)! We also have Instagram for Crochet Between Worlds now, and you can find us @crochetbetweenworlds.  
 
My mother had an excellent idea for a project for visitors to our house at Lake Macquarie between Christmas and New Years. We are going to use the Hypno-Diamonds sketch as a guide, and get our guests to make some little granny squares, which we will join up into an afghan made by everyone! I'm super excited about this idea, and look forward to (hopefully) posting photos of the process, and the finished product! 

What are you up to at the moment? We'd love to hear about your Christmas holiday projects!

16 comments :

  1. Love the idea of the guest afghan. Great project idea! I will be back into beading for the holidays, as I joined a challenge called A Time To Stitch 6 (ATTS 6). This time the goal is to make a beaded item from a counted chart, for example peyote, brickstitch, beadweaving etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that sounds like fun! I think I saw it on Facebook? I'm looking forward to seeing the photos :)

      Delete
    2. Could be. I already printed some charts and looked for pics of beaded things I'd like to duplicate. Gave them away as gifts or in swaps. Looking forward.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, can't wait to see it!!
    Right now I'm still busy crafting Xmas gifts, particularly my very first knitted scarf, for my boyfriend... : )
    Wish you a nice week! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a special Christmas gift! I wish it was cold here at Christmastime instead of blazingly hot - much cheaper and more fun to make crocheted presents than buy them all :P I'll just have to save up for Christmas in July!

      Delete
  3. It will be a lovely blanket, can't wait to see the Progress and final product. I'm crocheting some Christmas bells, snowflakes and amigurumis at the moment, plus I also have a Christmas tree I am working on and just bought myself an angel pattern that is more like the bells and no amigurumi. Hope I will be able to finish it all before Christmas or at least this year :)
    Wishing you the best advent
    Best regards
    Thuri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with all your projects!! Merry Christmas and happy Advent to you too :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Michelle! What an excellent choice, love the diagram!
    Sounds like there will be a lot of crochet going on at your house! :) Exciting!!!
    How large will you make each square and how large do you think the finished blanket will be?
    I've been doing a number of crochet stars at the moment...
    Have fun!!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The squares should be about 6cm, which will make the finished blanket 1.8m square! Good for two people to snuggle under on the couch, or it can go on a single bed :)

      Delete
  5. I've made lots of decorations - hopefully will blog about them soon. Also a blanket just finished. And started knitting a coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knitting a coat! That sounds like an awesome project :) Are you using a particular pattern, or just making it up as you go along?

      Delete
    2. I agree! A coat is very ambitious and I am keen to know how long it will take to make. Coats are very expensive to buy so making your own has a triple bonus - saving money, keeping warm and having something stylish and unique.

      Delete
  6. I love the way it will be made by guests for your guests! Think of all the happy memories you will all be creating in the making of such an amazing blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the plan! I'll definitely be posting photos :)

      Delete
  7. Instagram - I haven't 'instagrammed' yet but many people around me are. As my computer is very slow on graphics, I have avoided instagram because I believe it is all photo sharing? I do hope I won't miss too much of your news because I am not on instagram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, Instagram is a smart phone/tablet thing rather than a computer thing. It is all photo sharing, and is certainly a strange and wonderful place! Everything I post on Instagram also goes to my Wrapped with Love page, so make sure you've liked that on Facebook and you won't miss a thing! http://www.facebook.com/wrappedwithlovebymichelle

      Delete