Saturday 25 April 2015

Catching up!

Hello everyone! 

I haven't blogged much about everyday things for so long - between patterns and Melbourne, it's been a bit busy! Here's a little update on what's going on for me :) 

First, since it has been so long, a Sophie's Universe CAL update in pictures! I love the butterflies and the little plum tulips :) It is also big enough now to keep my knees warm while I work on it - very useful now that the weather is starting to get chilly of an evening. Only 3 more weeks to go!! 





I've also started on a new Crochet Along - Jane Crowfoot's Lily Pond Blanket together with Stylecraft Yarns. I wasn't that excited about it after I saw the initial photos, it seemed very dark. But now that I've made my first set of pieces, it really does look like ripples in a pond! I chose mostly Stylecraft Special DK colours to sort of match the Stylecraft Life DK set colours, but I think my choices are a bit brighter than the Special DK alternates provided.



I broke my yarn fast (again) last weekend at Spotlight's 40% off yarn sale. It was just too good to resist! I discovered some colourways of Moda Vera Bouvardia that I actually like, such as Tokyo:


and Sunset Dive:


And I am definitely excited about getting more of these yarns as they make such lovely Road Trip Scarves for my stall in June :) Fortunately Bouvardia is on sale for VIPs until 10 May, so I just have to get back to Spotlight before then! 

I also found a new Moda Vera Marvel variation called Magic Stripe - it has longer variegations in colour, and I think it works well for these booties! What do you think? I'm about to get started on a blue/green/white pair as well. 


But, our big excitement this week were the huge storms, rain and wind around Sydney and the Central Coast/Newcastle. We were fine here in Meadowbank (although the hot water was off for about a day due to damage to the hot water tanks), but up at the Lake House, things were a little bit different. There were trees down all over the place, they still have no power after 4 days, and the lake overflowed just a little bit! The combination of a king tide and the storm surge meant that the lake couldn't do its usual tidal thing at Swansea, so it got a tad overfull...


See that bench out in the water behind a tree? It's usually about a metre from the edge of the lake... The ducks thought it was all marvellous though :)  

We were meant to be going up there for this weekend to celebrate my mother's and my sister's birthdays, but without power we couldn't have hot showers or even make tea! Kiah and I quickly cleaned out the fridges and freezers, which were already defrosting, and just came home instead. It made for a long day, especially after getting evacuated from Spotlight at Tuggerah on the way! 


Tomorrow there will be birthday lunch at my parents' house - slow roasted pork belly, roast vegies and, by special request, red velvet birthday cake with salted caramel and white chocolate cream cheese icing! Wish me luck with the cake, I've never made red velvet before! 

I hope you are all having a lovely weekend :) Don't forget, if you are interested in participating in the Crochet Between Worlds Christmas Market, send us a message on our Facebook page! We are going to start organising in earnest at the end of May when I get back from the Great Ocean Road Marathon! 

12 comments :

  1. Glad you're ok. That storm was huge. Was even here on the news. Really love your color choices on the Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pond ripples... shame about the lake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph :) We were super bummed about the lake, but we are going up in a fortnight for the Mother's Day weekend as well - hopefully that will make up for it!

      Delete
  3. Quel travail! Good job!
    Lucie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Sophie is getting prettier and prettier as time goes on! : ) I'm glad to read that you are safe, must've been a really big storm! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valentina! The storm was pretty scary - lots of lightning and thunder, a ridiculous amount of rain, and the wind was howling!! It was good to be tucked up inside with tea and crochet :)

      Delete
  5. What an eventful week! Maybe you ought to rename the blanket from pond ripples, to lake waves or rising rivers? :-) I do like those wavy stripes.
    Glad you survived the storm intact. Good luck with the clean-up. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, the colours in the Sophie's Universe blanket - they woke me up! So vibrant. I love the tulip motif, it's really pretty. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Gillian! I do love my Sophie so much :D

      Delete