Wednesday 24 May 2017

Wednesday WIP Wroundup!

Hey everyone!

We finally bit the bullet and employed a cleaner - with Kiah working full time now, and me not really capable of doing many useful things, it just made sense to have a cleaner to make sure that the apartment gets cleaned on a regular basis. But, it does mean that I have to tidy up my mess on a regular basis as well - maybe that's a good thing!

This week's job was clearing up my crafty corner, which has morphed over time from one box of current projects and one of play yarn, to... well, a giant mess of all the things I thought I might do, or couldn't fit in another cupboard or who knows really. 

In tidying up, I found a multitude of unfinished projects, so this blog post is a little window into what craziness I've started indulging in, and also a reminder to me to get some of these things finished. Shall we meet back here in, say, 3 months and see if I've made any progress or just added more to the pile? 


And yes, I know that Roundup doesn't traditionally have a W in it, I was just tickled at the idea of such an alliterative blog title ;)

1. New Designs

I don't have any photos to show you of these little activities, but I have 5 (!) new designs at various stages of the writing/testing process, including one gorgeous baby blanket that should be coming out very soon! Keep an eye out, as there'll be a discount code for our lovely readers ;) I'm counting those 5 designs as one item on this list though, otherwise it's just too depressing.

2. Fiesta Laptop Case

I was making myself a laptop case using my Fiesta Clutch design. The fabric is so large and intimidating to fill all that blank white space! 


3. Winter Sparkle Cross-stitch

Oh I love how this is coming along, and I only have less than 6 pages left to do. I just need some time to focus on it for a week or two, maybe when the weather is not so drying on my hands that I have to keep so clean...


4. Tie-Back Tunic



Ok, this one is less in the WIP pile and more in the naughty corner. I had been lusting after this Marly Bird pattern for ages, finally got the e-book on special, splashed out on some stunning Cascade merino yarn and... the pattern did not work. After much swearing, consulting with my mother and extensive pattern rewriting and fiddling, we finally came up with a garment that'll fit, but now I hate it. What do you think - should I just finish it and probably leave it folded up in my wardrobe forever, or frog and repurpose the yarn for something else?


5. Ella Mohair Wrap


I bought this yarn in a bulk buy group ages ago, planning to design some kind of elegant lacy shawl which I have never got around to, and am unlikely to do so. So I started to use it in Berniolie's Ella Wrap and it is coming up beautifully! Definitely want to finish this one, just need some patient time to deal with the mohair fluff... 


6. Days for Girls Daysies for Menstrual Hygiene Day

This one has a firm deadline on it - I need to make as many Daysies as I can for our Days for Girls working bee this Sunday, as a gift for attendees in celebration of Menstrual Hygiene Day. I, uh, better make the rest of this quick and hop to it!


7. Crochet Meditation Podcast

This is an idea in progress, and I can't show you the little bits I've already designed for this in case you want to listen to the podcast - half the point is that you don't know what the end result is, so you have to focus and listen to each stitch as you hear it. Hopefully soon I'll be able to record the rest of the first four podcasts and get them prettied up with lovely relaxing music, and release them to the world! 


8. Luna the African Flower Cat

I'm sure the recipient of this kitty thinks I have forgotten about it, but never fear! It is still here and glares at me accusingly on a regular basis (similar to my real lift cat...hmm). The pattern is by Jo's Crocheteria and while it makes a lovely cat in the end, the instructions leave something to be desired. So it waits until I can be figged plowing through figuring out how to join up these bajillion little African flowers. Then, I'm going to get my talented mother to give kitty some acupuncture (that is, lay out colours on it for a candy version), then make that one up, so in future I have one always on hand to refer to! 


9. Blue Happypotamus

This is today's project, which has to be delivered on Sunday, but I'm including it this list so I have at least two things I can definitely tick off next time we have this chat ;) 

10. Destash Box of Stylecraft Special DK

I am slowly, slowly in the process of using up my Stylecraft Special DK stash to make Wrap With Love squares. Slowly. So far I have nearly two blankets worth of squares, and the pile of yarn is about a third of an IKEA box, down from 3 big boxes. Not all of that has become squares yet - the full or almost full balls went to live in my mother's bath with the stash she keeps for her Wrap With Love knitting ladies. 


Don't worry - there's plenty of other places in my parents' house to bathe! 

Phew! That ... is a really long list. To cheer myself up, here's something I actually finished this week - a Road Trip Scarf in McLana Jazz! It's super pretty yarn with a slight sheen to it, perfect for these cheery neckerchief scarves :)  




Next WIP check-in: end of August 2017

2 comments :

  1. Oh Michelle, so much YES! How *does* one box of crochet project gear turn into three...and then spreads to a crate...and then sprouts collections of yarn that have no where else to live but in any bag to be found? I wish I knew the answer to that one too.

    Is your tie-back tunic of worthy quality as a show entry? Perhaps you can give it the opportunity to redeem itself by winning something before you dispose of it.

    The mohair shawl looks luxurious. I hope the mohair is behaving itself. I love the softness of a good quality mohair.

    Well done on completing the happypotamus, the daysies and YAY for the Road Trip Scarf. I have seen so many of these and I love all the wonderful colour possibilities but am yet to make one for myself. Another project for the 'must do one day' list. Some projects are becoming like musical standards...

    In the meantime, I love your wordplay. Always fun...

    Now, after all that hard work, go and have a rest in your clean space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that your Mum keeps her stash in the bath, that is genius! Makes you just want to dive in!
    Road trip scarf is gorgeous, love that yarn, such gorgeous colours 😀

    ReplyDelete