Friday 16 February 2018

A long time in the making... Frida's Flowers Blanket

Hi there!

At some point I thought I would never be able to write this blogpost. That is a post where I share my finished Frida's Flowers blanket. In the end, it took me close to two years to finish it. As you might guess, it sat in the naughty corner looking reproachful at me for quite some time. 


How did it come to this? Well, as some of you might recall, I translated the Frida's Flowers CAL into German and boy, that was some work. I also managed the German Facebook group, wrote the German pattern errata list and so on. At some point I was just over the blanket. That I had no idea what to actually do with the blanket once it was done. So... after finishing part 1-3 while I was on holidays in Denmark in 2016, the blanket kit moved into the WIP/UFO corner. 



But whenever I walked past it, it looked at me and I felt pretty bad. What to do with the already finished pieces and what to do with the left over yarn? I couldn't get myself to repurpose the yarn and well, sometime last year, I "bite into the sour apple" (German phrase) and started working on it again. And guess what? I actually enjoyed it (not the ends but that is another story)! I was going to finish it for Christmas but as usual life had other plans. So, I finished it in January/February instead and will ship it off to it's new owner (who doesn't know she will get it, so I won't name her here) soon. Pheww! 



The pattern is very well written and along with Michelle's helpful tips from two years ago, the crochet process wasn't too hard. The crocheting together? Not my favorite part but that is not the blanket's fault as I don't like putting crochet pieces together in any case. I used the recommend Stylecraft Classique Cotton and fell in love with it. Finally a cotton yarn which doesn't split all the time! I will certainly use it again in the future - when the right projects comes up. I adore cotton yarn but it makes blankets so heavy and amigurumi a bit hard (if crocheted tight). 



I can't even express how relieved I am that this project is FINALLY done. There are tons of projects which moved into the naughty corner (and stayed there) in the past, tons of projects   frogged or thrown out but this one... this one needed to be finished. And now that it is, well, we will see where it takes me!


Project details

Pattern: Frida's Flowers Blanket by Jane Crowfoot 
Hooks: Clover Amour 4-5 mm
Duration: March 2016 - February 2018

Take care 
Anne

P.S. It is the middle of winter here in Germany... The weather is ... um... not good for photos.  Thus no outside picture of the blanket as it would get wet and soggy within seconds!






4 comments :

  1. Wow, Anne! Those flowers are spectacular! And so neat. You've done an amazing job. Two years is a long time. Congratulations on completion of your beautiful blanket. I see those flowers and think I would love to make them but, like you, I have learned that joining lots of motifs is not my first choice of fun. This means that I have extra admiration for you and your determination to get this blanket done and to do it so beautifully.
    I hope you are feeling good. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Anne!!! realmente maravillosa tu manta!!! que lindo, a pesar del tiempo los tejidos se disfrutan con los logros y dificultades el resultado habla por si solo...hermosa!!!! yo estoy acumulando coraje porque la quiero hacer es una manta que me fascina...bueno te dejo un abrazo desde el sur de la Argentina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias por tu amable comentario! ¡Estoy muy feliz con la manta terminada! ¡Deseo que pronto tengas el valor de comenzar con la manta! El patrón de Jane está muy bien escrito y los consejos de Michelle son muy útiles. Muchos saludos desde Alemania, Anne

      Delete
  3. These tips are great for someone like me who has a small space for crafting. I love the idea of using a hanging shoe rack to store my yarn - it takes up minimal space and keeps everything organized.

    ReplyDelete