Saturday 3 August 2019

BAWJ 2019 - Weeks 21-25!

Hi everyone!

I'm back! Kiah has had the rosters from hell, work has been extremely busy with outbound interviews, negotiations with people overseas and finalising the inbound paperwork, and Allie has changed her naptimes so there's been yet another adjustment period. I've still been crocheting a bit, written up my new sweater/cardigan pattern (that'll come out a bit later in the year, when it's less hot in the Northern Hemisphere!) and, well, the BAWJ2019 fell a little behind. 

But! Now I am caught up with the BAWJ2019! As I have (gulp) 10 squares to report on, I'll do 5 today and 5 next week :) 

If you want to join in on BAWJ2019, check out Julie's Facebookgroupblog and Ravelry Board for more information.

WEEK 21 - SYDNEY by SHELLEY HUSBAND

Pattern: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sydney 

Yarn colours: Iron, Cream, Rose 


The colour possibilities with this block were pretty much endless - I did like using the Batik Elements for the central flower. Plus, a square with the same name as my home town! 


The method for squaring up the circle looks very different and effective, but I can't for the life of me make it sit flat. Hopefully the peer pressure of being in a blanket will smooth things out. 


It's almost square, just bulging a bit at the sides from the central circle. 


WEEK 22 - AURORA by VANESSA PHILLIPS

Pattern: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/aurora-41

Yarn colours: Mercury, Cream, Coral, Old Gold, Lupin


I loooove the centre circle of this square! It looks so cool, and is centred neatly on the rest of the square rather than being wonky! It did end up a bit looser than the outer rows though, so isn't quite flat.



However, something about the squaring up rows made the square twist a little bit, so it doesn't look very... square, by itself. That's ok though, being in a blanket will beat it into shape ;) 



WEEK 23 - ENCOMPASS ME by HEATHER GIBBS

Pattern: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/encompass-me-afghan-square

Yarn colours: Teal, Lupin, Cream


The textures of this square were lovely - not overdone, but just enough to give it some more interest. The centre circle does look like a compass! 


The squaring up didn't come up quite straight, but not in a way that bothered me. At least the final square is relatively square! 




WEEK 24 - FROSTBLOOM by SHAN SEVCIK 

Pattern: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/frostbloom-12-afghan-square

Yarn colours: Olive, Raspberry, Cream



Lacy and textured? Sign me up! The additional "ruffle" around the centre square was fun to work and looks very effective :) 


A well-written square (and doing a multi-designer CAL reeeeally emphasises how good well-written squares are!).



WEEK 25 - BERRYLICIOUS by MARIE SEGARES

Pattern: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/berrylicious-square

Yarn colours: Graphite, Pistachio, Cherry 


I'm not sold on the name for this one - 12 "berrieds" around the middle does not make berrylicious! The tensions were all off for this one, I had to force it into a square to be able to take a picture at all. I'm not sure if I needed to change hooks for the v-stitch section. 


The square also developed a noticeable twist as I went along, which as you will know by now is not my favourite. Overall, it was ok to work but not my favourite. 



PHEW. Coming next week: Squares 26-30! And I will try and keep up more regularly from now on for my sanity as well as yours! 

2 comments :

  1. I ADORE your colour choices for the Aurora square. A gorgeous, warm effect.

    As for the Sydney square, I've admired Shelley Husband's work for a long time so am surprised that there were problems. I am thinking about how to make your Sydney square sit flat and deal with the bulge: what would happen if you made another one except changed your tension at different spots instead of having your usual beautifully uniform tension throughout?

    What if the filet stitches in the outside round were slightly taller (either with looser tension, pulling up the first loop higher or making extended stitches)? What if the pink corner sections were tighter or shorter - would they pucker less?

    Were your photos taken before or after blocking? I like your 'peer pressure' expression. That's so true that motifs often fit norms when in a group!

    I often see twists in basic granny squares and granny blankets. I can't remember what to do about it except turn the work every other round.

    Anyway, you have certainly been busy and your reviews are great. I look forward to the next 5 squares and hope that your household routine settles down for a while! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment!

      Good ideas about the Sydney square! If I was to do another one I would definitely try that :) But, I would have thought a good pattern would be designed for even tension? I'm doing all the squares according to the pattern as much as I can.

      I haven't blocked any of these squares, peer pressure will do the job for me :P

      Delete