Friday 22 May 2015

PATTERN: Tension Finger Saver

I am usually a pretty loose crocheter. My sister and I can both make exactly the same pattern, and mine is usually much much bigger than hers! 

But, for some projects, I find that tight tension is essential for the correct look or size. Maintaining that sort of tight tension is difficult, especially when I start to get serious dents and burn marks across my middle finger where the yarn runs across! 

I came up with this little tension finger saver using hardy 4 ply cotton, and it has done wonders for my poor hands when crocheting with tight tension :) 



------------------------------------------
PATTERN: TENSION FINGER SAVER
------------------------------------------

This pattern uses all US terminology. It is worked in a spiral rather than joining each row and then moving up.

Materials
Small amount of 4 ply cotton
2.25mm/B hook 
Scissors
Yarn needle

Instructions

Row 1: Using foundation single crochet stitch (fsc), 15fsc (or however many you need to fit snugly around your problem finger). It needs to be quite a firm fit, so that it doesn't spin around your finger with the yarn, but not so firm that it cuts off the blood supply!

Row 2: Insert your hook back through the first fsc and do a normal sc. sc in each stitch around (15sc)




Rows 3-9: sc in each stitch around (15 sc) 

To finish: Slip stitch into the next stitch. Fasten off and cut yarn. With starting end, slip stitch into final fsc and fasten off. Weave in ends.



There you have it! I ended up making two - one for my middle finger and one for my little finger to save them from dents and burns making the cutest happypotami :) 



18 comments :

  1. What a great idea, I have trouble with the yarn just slipping through my fingers, so this might just be the answer! Thank you for the suggestion! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Give it a go - and put a picture up on our Facebook page!

      Delete
  2. Bright idea indeed! : )
    Wish you a nice weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic idea, thanks so much for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Sharon! I figured if it was a problem for me, there might be others out there who could benefit from my fiddling around :)

      Delete
  4. Great idea! I usually crocheted too tight, but never had any problems so far. But I think there are lots of people having problems and hurt their fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you have taken the initiative to use your own crochet to solve a crochet problem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, thanks for sharing it. I imagine it would be especially good for thread crochet. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the most beautiful pattern ever, I have been giving myself yarn burn for months! I've been thinking about doing something similar but never had the time to really work it out. But here you are with this wonderful pattern! My forefinger thanks you. I also thank you haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My absolute pleasure! When I made it up, I thought I was the only one who had this problem, but a crochet group on Facebook told me otherwise! I'm so glad it helps you and your forefinger 😂

      Delete
  8. I have problems holding my yarn when crocheting. Will this help with all crocheting or just for projects which need tight tension x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is mostly for projects that need tight tension, to help you maintain the tension without getting yarn burn marks across your fingers. If you're having trouble maintaining any tension at all, I often wrap the yarn around my pinky finger as well - this helps me both when I'm working with tight tension, and also when the yarn is really slippery and just wants to all rush through my fingers onto the hook!

      Delete
  9. thank you so much for the pattern/idea. I found you on pintrest last night and made my finger saver this morning. worked out perfectly. used Paton "grace" cotton 4ply yarn, 2.50mm hook and 12fsc. fits like a glove (lol). appreciate your sharing your creativity and great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I'm glad it worked well for you :)

      Delete